Saturday, December 25, 2010

The True Meaning Of Christmas

I have been eagerly awaiting the Christmas season- every year. Christmas is like my favorite holiday; even  back when I was a kid. For me it is better than my own birthday because Christmas is a time when the whole world celebrates- and not just me. Parties are everywhere, the streets are brightly decorated- everybody is in a cheerful mood. But all this time, as we celebrate Christmas year after year, we tend to forget the true meaning of this holiday. For most of us (yes, including me) Christmas is a time to receive gifts and party non-stop all the way; but as I was reflecting today, I realized that amidst all the excitement and glamor this season brings, there is more to it than meets the eye.

Christmas is a very joyous season. Fascinating, that here in the Philippines, people starts decorating their houses with Christmas trees and Christmas lights as soon as the month of September sets in. Children await this season more than anything else because Santa Claus is coming to town with lots of toys and goodies on his sleigh. Children are reminded to be good because if they're not, they won't get any gifts from Santa. But the thing is, Christmas is not about Santa. It's not about the gifts or the parties we go to.  It's not even about whether you are naughty or nice or if you've been good or bad. Christmas is all about Jesus- His birth and the reason why He came. This season is supposed to remind us all of that one night when our Savior came; to save us from our sins.

Jesus- The True Meaning Of Christmas

Christmas is a very important time for us because during this day, we celebrate the greatest gift that God our Father gave us, His Son, Jesus Christ. This Gift from God is written in the Bible. John 3:16 says “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son so that whoever believes in Him will not die but will have eternal life.” God gave us Jesus to save us from sin.

Every Christmas, we celebrate the birth of Jesus just like we celebrate our birthdays every year. We give gifts to our friends, our parents and our brothers and sisters to remember the greatest gift that all of us received when Jesus was born.

I don't know about you, but having realized this, I looked upon Christmas in a very different light. Sure, there are tons of parties left and right that I need to attend to; and yes, I've got gifts that I just can't wait to open. But as I continue to celebrate this year with my old traditions, I am now making it even more meaningful by adding in a new perspective on why I celebrate Christmas season. This year, I intend to make Christmas more meaningful by dedicate some time to reflect, pray and ponder on its true meaning – the birth of Jesus our Savior. 

I know you get really excited about the gifts you will receive and the parties you will be attending. But you can make Christmas even more meaningful if you take some time to thank God for giving us Jesus. You can do this by praying as well and sharing your blessings to others. Did you know that not all kids get gifts during Christmas? You can share the gift of Christmas to other children so they, too, will know the real meaning of the celebration.

Have a Holy Christmas, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment