Thursday, December 16, 2010

Appreciating The Best At Yats

The month of December is one of the finest seasons in my life. Attending the best parties in the metro and getting exclusive invites to the most exclusive parties has opened my life to lots of new experiences and widened my social connection. What can I say; it's all part of my job as a socialite. And I know that as time goes on, the best is yet to come. Last December 11, 2010 Saturday, after attending a Christmas party in Alabang Hills I headed off to a Wine Tasting Event with one of my friends at Yats Wine Cellar in Makati. Unlike Yat's previous wine tasting event, this one is not open for public tasting. A very private event took place with exclusive invites and RSVP sent out to a handful (about 25) people comprising of wine enthusiasts, socialites and wine commentators. My friend who was among the wine enthusiasts invited has extended his invitation to me so I can meet some very important people in the wine industry and handle their upcoming events.

Yats Wine Cellar

Wines Presented During The Event
It was not my first time to go to a wine tasting event- but this one is definitely different. Almost a hundred of the best wines in the world were served and only a handful of people were present in this occasion. What sets Yats apart from the many wine tasting events I've been to is that there are no sponsors for this event; that means the guests are never flaunted to pushy wine salesmen and there were no boring sales pitches. You can just simply make your selection and taste it as you make small talks with other guests.

I've learned a thing or two with several wine enthusiasts I've spoken to during the entire event. As a follow up to the last wine appreciation event Yats held last June 04, 2010, several new and expensive wines were imported from different countries all over the world. Aside from the five red wine varieties namely Barbera, Tempranillo, Pinot Noir and Zifandel  that were unveiled last June, there were 4 more age old wines presented that night.

My first glass was the Perception 2007 Zifandel from Sonoma County. Released year 2007, it is amongst the best selling and best tasting wines in the metro. The aroma of cherry cola and blackberry was very evident with this wine. My first sip of this wine and I thought that it really tasted good- tarty but sweet and fruity. It almost tasted like black licorice and bramble but of course more sophisticated.

Since it was one of the featured wines of the event, I decided to taste the Melka 2008 CJ Cabernet Sauvignon as well. It tastes like ripe blueberry and black currant. There's like a ton of different berry flavors in it. The texture almost caramel-like and the flavor just bursts in your mouth as you sip. I completely fell in love with this the moment my lips touched the wine. I haven't tasted any wine as good as this and for that night I decided this was the best wine in the selection.

What is a wine tasting event without a bubbly? I definitely had to try one- and I chose the Torre Oria Cava Brut Sparkling Wine. It's not as strong as the other wines (because it's a sparkling wine- a bubbly) but definitely good and flavorful. Aromas of lemon and green apple gave this bubbly a citrus flavor that best partnered with regular all day foods like pizzas, spicy tapas, or even scrambled eggs! One of the wine enthusiasts I spoke to told me that this bubbly is best during breakfast! For some it may be served on a breakfast brunch- but for me this one's hefty on a Sunday night soiree.

Last but definitely not the least amongst the wines I've tasted is called the Franciscan Estates 2007 Chardonnay Cuvee Sauvage. Boasting with the sweet aromas of pear, honey, toast and marshmallow, this chardonnay is perfect with sea food. There is a bit of citrus acidity that comes with every sip and the faint finish is just excellent in texture.

Yats Wine Tasting Event

There are several more wines served for selection and I just simply love almost all of them. I can't really call myself an expert when it comes to wine tasting but this experience has definitely taught me a lot when it comes to appreciating the best wines the world can offer.

The evening ended a little late than usual but was ultimately a success. As this year closes, I'm sure that the wine producing industry all around the world will continue to flourish- with wines that taste as good as these, the business will definitely bloom at it's age!

Appreciating the best that life can offer,
XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment