Wednesday, December 22, 2010

It's Just The Way I Am

I was dining with a friend at Cibo in Greenbelt 5 the other day. Catching up with old friends seems to have taken the better part of my holidays this year. We were having fun, laughing and reminiscing about the times when we were in high school; when suddenly this really annoying lady in an uptight suit with last season's blazer went up to our table and said: "Excuse me, but would you mind keeping it down? My friend and I are having a conversation." My friend was awestruck at her remark and I calmly but sarcastically replied "Well if you're having a hard time hearing each other over the noise, why don't you two start wearing hearing aids?" With a frown (that could stretch all the way through South Superhighway) she turned her back on us and started walking back to her table while muttering silently. The next moment, she and her companion left the restaurant.

This may seem rude to some of you but I find this scenario quite amusing. I admit, my day is never complete without ranting on someone or turning them down. I was raised well by my parents- it's my social influence that brought out the a*$ in me.

My Badge Of Service
I always say, to those people who don't know me or just getting to know me; sarcasm is just one free service I offer. It comes with my personality. Never mind about growing up on the Upper East Side or studying at exclusive schools. It's just the way I am. A day without a retort is like a day without sun for me. I bask in the limelight and I bite when the light starts to dim.

Another scenario happened while I was in line buying tickets for Harry Potter 7. I was with 3 friends who I usually hang out with whenever I have the time and my schedule permits it. This large, really heavy girl in front of me was making a lot of noise talking to her friends who were also in line. I wouldn't be giving this girl the time in the world if she would just stop moving and nudging me with her elbows and bum. Finally, I snapped. I tapped her right on her shoulders and said in a very loud voice "I know it's quite hard to move gracefully with all the space you're occupying but would you stop nudging me!" Everybody looked at us and she was mortified- turned beet on the face. I spent the rest of my-waiting-in-line-for-tickets time with a smile on my face, happy that she's not moving or disturbing my peace.

I know what you're thinking... I'm such an a*$. I know that already, no need to rub it in my face. The thing is, I know I'm like that but I'm proud of it! It's just the way I am. 

Being an @*$ is not my choice (no, actually it is). When I say it's just the way I am, I meant it in a non excusable way. That's who I am. I grew up that way and it's either you learn to live with it or you deal with it. I chose to do both. Being an a%$ also meant that very few people actually dared to come against me. No, it's not like always having what you want all the time or being the leader of an alpha clique. It's the attitude that I exude that rattles everybody, expecting that if they come against me, they'd be facing my wrath sooner or later. Yes, it keeps all the whinnies away and I am left with a bunch of faithful servants willing to do whatever I ask them. Some people call it bullying- I call it having social class.

I'm not afraid of standing up to what I believe in no matter who says "nay!". Being the way I am means being an individual who knows who I want to be and is not afraid to do anything just to be that person. I know what I want and I always get what I want one way or another. I easily weed people in and out of my life because I know that in the end I only have myself to depend on. Friends come and friends go; but I was lucky enough to have some few but loyal friends who stands by me no matter what kind of a monster I turn in to.  I admit, it's not easy. But I don't make excuses for what I do- even if someone gets caught in the crossfire.

On the brighter side (because everybody has a bright side- even me) I am a loyal and trustworthy friend- just as long as you don't double cross me. I care deeply about those who I know I can trust. I'm willing to put my life on to something or someone as long as I know they're worthy of such devotion from me. The only reason why some of my so-called "friends" are now my ex-friends is because they never learned to accept me for who I am. Like I said, I easily weed people in and out of my life. I choose those who stays with me because I know that no matter what I say to them, no matter how mean I am to them; no matter how nasty I get, they would still remain to be my friend. I dump people just like that should I learn not trust them.  I'd much rather be left without a friend than have a bunch of them backstabbing me every now and then. 

I don't really care what some people may think of me right after reading this entry. I can't help it. This is the way I am. So if you think that with what I did with the two scenarios above is down right mean then so be it. To you, I may be nothing more than a despicable nasty person set on manipulating every person I get in contact to. That's not so bad and thank you if that's how you think of me. However, if you think that what I did above is all in a day's work, congratulations- you have my undying devotion. We should hang and have coffee together soon. I'm sure we'll think of many creative ways to make our lives better.  =p

2 comments:

  1. whew! :)
    well who ever you are, just always remember I am willing to understand that......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That's very nice. Hehehehehe!

    ReplyDelete