Sunday, December 26, 2010

Marriage Is Social Suicide

This may seem like a very bad idea to talk about on the month of December, but I've been personally pondering on this for quite some time now. I may have certain issues with regards to this topic but as usual, I respect other people's opinions aside from my own. I think it's time I get it out in the open; and thus, this blog entry was born.

A couple of days ago, just before Christmas, I ran into an old friend while I was doing my last minute Christmas shopping for myself. We stopped for a while and had the usual "catching up". She was quite surprised to find out that I'm still single and not even attached to one person in particular. She knew about my wild days before and how I normally end up with more than one date at a time. My friend has been married for almost 3 years now and when I asked her how she was doing (having been married and all) she said- it was the best experience she's ever had. Really now is all I can say with a sneer on my face. I thought to myself- how can she be happy when I hardly see her at any social gala since she tied the knot? Does that mean she's actually having fun staying at home and waiting for her husband to come home? Talk about living a dull life! Then again, I saw that annoying twinkle in her eyes; the one that says she's really having the time of her life and at that point, with the music from twilight zone playing inside my head, I knew she was telling the truth.

I'm Not Getting Married
People who are genuinely happy with their marriages are bound to say things like this. "I found the best man in the world... she makes me feel so complete... I so love being married to a wonderful guy... I love being with her... and the proverbial 'Marriage is the best thing that has ever happened to me'.. anecdote" While I can  truly say that I'm very happy for couples who ended up being happy with their marriage, I simply can't relate to the whole concept of getting married and tying yourself down to just one person for the rest of your life. For me, marriage is just one social event that I attend to whenever one of my friends have decided to tie the knot. It's like attending a social event and then coming up to your friend saying "congratulations" when what I really meant was "rest in peace". Don't get me wrong, I'm not heartbroken nor do I have any ill feelings of being single at this point of my life. I love being a bachelor and not being married is basically my choice to begin with. Like what I always say, I love it when people get their dream weddings; but that doesn't necessarily mean that I imagined myself right there on the altar getting married. 

With the career I currently have, marriage is nothing but a nuisance. I decided that if I want to make it big and find myself in every society gala or with every newspaper's society page in the metro, then I couldn't risk getting into marriage and killing my social life. In more ways than one, I regard marriage as suicide. Why? Because when I get married, I can no longer come and go as I please. Traveling will almost be difficult for me, especially if I need to go somewhere far for an event because I'll be leaving my wife behind- or worse, she just might want to tag along with me for the trip! The very worst part of getting married is that I can never be the social bachelor that I currently am. That means my partying days are over and in replace is coming home at a decent hour and taking care of the kids- I hate kids!!!

Marriage=Game Over
Marriage means giving up my social life in exchange of spending the rest of my life with one person and having kids. I can't do that. I don't mind going on dates and I certainly don't mind getting into a serious relationship with someone that I really love- but that's as far as I'm willing to go! I want to spend the rest of my life with someone, but not have kids. I want to be with someone who would understand my social obligations and wouldn't mind if I party at all. In short, I need a companion, not a wife who'd nag me if I didn't come home before 2am or if I'd rather party and pose in front of the paparazzi on a Saturday night rather than staying home and tucking the kids to bed. The life of a married man is dull, boring, and very unsociable. I can't live with that kind of lifestyle and I certainly don't find myself being in one either.

It's true- I'm a hopeless romantic. I love going on dates, and showing my date a good time. I love having romantic dinners and going on scenic views and all that cheesy stuff. But that's all I want. No wife, no annoying brats you call your kids and definitely no marriage vows that says you'll be the best husband and you'll be a responsible father. I can be the best boyfriend and I am a responsible father to my 5 adorable dogs who I treat as my own kids but going beyond that is social suicide for me. 

I've got nothing against people who are married and people who want to get married. That's your thing. I totally respect that. But my thing is society galas, paparazzis taking my pictures at an event, fashion shows, parties and the life of a bachelor. Looking at my old friend now who is happy with her marriage makes me happy for her- but I also pity her. Gone are her days of partying with us and gone is her social life. But I guess, that's the price you pay for marrying at an age when you should be enjoying your life. That's a big price for me to pay. Marriage is simply just not for me. 

2 comments:

  1. "Marriage means giving up my social life in exchange of spending the rest of my life with one person and having kids."

    eat me with this bro....... RIGHT ON! very well said...... just the way i want it to say to my friends and family.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha! Well I was just saying it how it is. You can't force someone to marry you- it would be unfair. Marriage is something that people prepare for- not something you'd go dive in to just because you're pressured to it or you "think" you're ready when in truth, you're not.

    ReplyDelete